NICE guidance "Managing Medicines in Care Homes" 2014 states that staff must be assessed annually as competent before being allowed to administer medicines.
This brand new and increasingly popular interactive full day course (6 hours approx) is fully accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. This workshop supports managers and senior staff in assessing the competency of their staff in the safe handling & administration of medicines. It includes discussion of case studies, and examples of problems such as medication errors and how to avoid them.
Each delegate receives a comprehensive workbook (with a useful reference and further reading section), competency assessment booklet with supporting guidance notes, our pocket primer card and a Certificate of Completion valid for two years.
Ideal for managers, senior staff and team leaders based in:
- residential care homes,
- care homes with nursing,
- domiciliary care organisations,
- extra-care housing schemes, and
- supported living.
To help ensure that care providers comply with, and provide evidence to, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) of staff competency in the administration of medicines.
The course covers essential areas such as:
- Laws/legislation & medicines,
- Ensure understanding of roles & boundaries of staff,
- Recap safe medicine administration principles from our Foundation Course,
- Assess administration competency in the work-place,
- Know how to avoid problems/medication errors.
Following successful course completion, trainees will be able to:
- Outline medicine laws and regulator's role
- Know where to find best practices guidance
- Recognise the 8 core Royal Pharmaceutical Society principles
- Identify staff roles and levels of support
- List actions before, during and after administration
- Operate safe protocols for PRN and homely medicines
- Describe correct recording requirements
- Recognise error types/problems, and know what actions to take
- Know various methods to assess staff
- Assess staff competency using the workbook
This course is becoming increasingly popular, please email or call to discuss your requirements:
- The cost is charged per delegate excluding VAT.
- Minimum number of delegates per session is 8 maximum of 16
- depending on your location from the nearest pharmacist trainer, mileage may be chargeable @ 45p per mile.
AIT Medihelp Ltd
100 Church Street
Tel: 07860 484270 07860 484270
We have updated our T&Cs - you can find it here
We are proud to announce that we have been recognised by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society as an Accredited Training Provider.
More good news! AIT have again been endorsed by Skills for Care as a Recognised Training Provider until 2020. This is a mark of quality that is given to the best learning and development in the adult social care sector.