NICE guidance "Managing Medicines in Care Homes" 2014 states that staff must be assessed annually as competent before being allowed to administer medicines.
This increasingly popular interactive full day course (6 hours approx) is fully accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. This workshop supports managers and senior staff in assessing the competency of their staff in the safe handling & administration of medicines. It includes discussion of case studies, and examples of problems such as medication errors and how to avoid them.
Each delegate receives a comprehensive workbook (with a useful reference and further reading section), competency assessment "toolkit" with supporting guidance notes, useful recording templates and a Certificate of Completion valid for two years.
Ideal for managers, senior staff and team leaders based in:
- residential care homes,
- care homes with nursing,
- domiciliary care organisations,
- extra-care housing schemes, and
- supported living.
To help ensure that care providers comply with, and provide evidence to, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) of staff competency in the administration of medicines.
The course covers essential areas such as:
- Laws/legislation & medicines,
- Ensure understanding of roles & boundaries of staff,
- Recap safe medicine administration principles from our Foundation Course,
- Assess administration competency in the work-place,
- Know how to avoid problems/medication errors.
Following successful course completion, trainees will be able to:
- Outline medicine laws and CQC "Outcome 9"
- Recognise the 8 core Royal Pharmaceutical Society principles
- Identify staff boundaries, roles and training levels
- Decribe different levels of support for service users
- Employ best practices when administering common dosage forms of medicines
- Describe correct recording requirements
- Operate protocols for homely remedies and "when required" medicines
- Recognise problems, errors and how to avoid them and take appropriate action
- Assess competency in the care setting using the toolkit provided
This course is becoming increasingly popular, please email or call to discuss your requirements:
- The cost per delegate is £60.00
- Minimum number of delegates per session is 7
- depending on your location from the nearest pharmacist trainer, mileage may be chargeable @ 45p per mile.
100 Church Street
Tel: 07860 484270 07860 484270
AIT have once again been endorsed by Skills for Care as a Recognised Training Provider. This is a mark of quality that is given to the best learning and development in the adult social care sector.